Reliant Robin electric conversion

Moderator: Moderators

B19hah

Reliant Robin electric conversion

Post by B19hah » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:24 pm

Hello everyone

What a brilliant site this is thanks for accepting me on to it.

Down to business I am currently working on a university project to take a reliant robin and convert it to electric without losing any functionality. Now I have done lots of research I am now looking at designing the engine mounts in the original position to accept the drive motor. For this I need fixing dimensions within the engine bay and of the motor. I would also like dimensions of the bellhousing and fixing points of the gear box. If anyone can assist in this it would be greatly appreciated.

I see this as an exiting and infesting project which I will publish in here for anyone who is interested to read.

Thanks Andrew

mechanicalhorse
Reliant Geek

Re: Reliant Robing electric conversion

Post by mechanicalhorse » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the group!

Sorry, I can't help with your question right now but I just wondered if you'd seen the Electric Fox on this forum:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=203

or this electric Robin in the Netherlands:

http://electricreliantrobin.blogspot.com/

I've got a spare gearbox in my garage so could measure the bellhousing for you tomorrow, but someone else may be able to help you before then.

Good luck with the project, we look forward to reading your updates - photos/sketches/plans are always good!

Tony

XV1100
Reliant Geek

Post by XV1100 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi Andrew and welcome.
This is a topic that i shall be following closely; best of luck with it...pics, pics, details and more pics :banana-dance:

oh and FWIW before submitting your paper to your lecturer may i suggest that you capitalise the name of the vehicle ;)

Darren.
"hey guv'ner that thing should be in a museum" .. "it was" i replied :roll:

Forums have 1 or 2 growling dogs...posts need a C.Y.A. statement, mine being "i could be wrong :roll: "
Don't let the dogs bite you, C.Y.A. ;)

B19hah

Post by B19hah » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:15 am

Brilliant thanks gents, I will certainly take on board your advise I won't lie I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to this. Thanks for the links they will prove valuable.

If you could measure the gearbox that would be appreciated. I could not think of a better place to bounce ideas around for this.

I am a mechanical engineer so if I can help anyone out with anything I would be happy to help if I can.

Thanks

Andrew

mechanicalhorse
Reliant Geek

Re: Reliant Robin electric conversion

Post by mechanicalhorse » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:55 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with the dimensions for the bellhousing mounting studs. I was expecting the top and bottom pairs of holes to have a nice standard dimension for the centre-to-centre distance, but they don't. I then had an idea, did some trigonometry and found the answer - all the holes are on a 10.875" PCD. They are equally spaced at 36 degree intervals, so there'd be 10 studs if there was a complete circle, but two of the positions are missing due to the location of the starter motor (so there are 8 positions).

If we call the vertical line above the centre zero degrees, the holes are located at the following positions (in degrees): 18, 54, 90, 126, 162, 198, 234 and 342.

The tapped holes in the gearbox are 5/16" UNC, studs are screwed into these which have a 5/16" UNF thread protruding from the face of the gearbox by 3/4". The top two holes are clearance ones (for 5/16" bolts).

Two of the holes (at 18 and 198 degrees) are counterbored to 7/16" diameter and have a sleeve inserted in them, I presume these locate in similar counterbores in the rear of the engine.

The bore of the bellhousing is 10 5/16" (10.315").

I think that's everything - hope this helps!