what gasket for a hte engine

Moderator: Moderators

Greyreaver

what gasket for a hte engine

Post by Greyreaver » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi I'm thinking of taking the head off my '83 rialto for a clean and to give it a good checking over (two of the spark plugs keep looking oily ).,and I was hoping to have the gaskets ready before I start. She has a yellow rocker cover and the e stamped on the engine & the engine number. Looking online for complete gasket sets I'm getting confused some state not for the yellow top (fair enough ) others claim to be for all the Rialto range upto 1990, some for leaded engine & others unleaded. Can anyone recommend which set to go for or supplier to contact please

Wheaters
Reliant Geek

Re: what gasket for a hte engine

Post by Wheaters » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 am

The so called unleaded engines had different valve guides with a narrowed top section and used different oil seals which were “top hat” shaped and held in place under the spring. Usually green in colour. Your E engine just needs a standard set.

The only other difference will be the thickness of the head gasket. The thicker type is normally recommended for the 10 to 1 head so the compression ratio isn’t increased too far. The gasket with a bead of red sealant is the thinner type. The thicker type of gasket is normally just grey in colour with no sealant.

amam
Reliant Geek

Post by amam » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:28 am

Theirs two types of head gasket sets unleaded and leaded

The only difference is the valve stem seals that are included, all engines before 1990 are leaded type and after is unleaded type

theirs also two types of head gasket, the yellow top used a thicker headgasket but you can also use a standard one if you wish

https://www.reliantpartsworld.co.uk/rel ... sket-thick

Greyreaver

Post by Greyreaver » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:22 am

Thanks I'll get on with it now. The old girls developed a oil seal leak now so no excuses not to, was wondering if reliant made anything designed to be worked on by humans,cos I never seem to have enough arms and I don't have the spine of a python. But then again if it was going to be easy somebody else would be doing it.

johno
Reliant Geek

Post by johno » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:30 am

If you have the time, sometimes its easier just to drop the engine out and work on it. the engine sits nicely in a decent workmate.
2013 Microcar MGO (Bubbles)
1998 Robin LX estate (Bella)
2009 Fiat Panda ECO Active 1.1
1984 GL1200 Aspencade/sidecar combi
1995 Renault Trafic T1400 Elddis Eclipse Motorhome
2012 Royal Enfield B5 Bullet EFI
2007 Honda NT700VA (Angel)

Mick
Reliant Geek

Post by Mick » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:32 pm

Remove the manifold stud near No 6 stud hole as they can bind and don't be surprised if the motor has to come out. positive side is you can give it a bloody good clean.

Greyreaver

Post by Greyreaver » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:58 pm

Tempted to drop engine but not got any lifting equipment except a jack & axle stands any tips or ideas? Or after stripping top end is it light enough to be done manually. By the way thanks all for the responces it's appreciated

Mick
Reliant Geek

Post by Mick » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:27 am

You need to get the car up about 2 feet and lower it onto a bit of carpet to drag it out and it is a two man job with a bit of two by four across the engine bay. If you can borrow an engine crane it would be a great help.