RKR 3rd Annual Gathering

Keep an eye on here for both ROC and non ROC events!

Moderator: Moderators

mechanicalhorse
Reliant Geek

RKR 3rd Annual Gathering

Post by mechanicalhorse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 am

The Reliant Kitten Register held its annual gathering and road run in Llangollen again at the weekend, and once again it proved to be a great event that was really well organised and had such a nice relaxed, friendly atmosphere throughout the whole weekend. Saturday began with a drive from our base at the motor museum up The Horseshoe Pass, we had time to stop at the cafe at the summit for an hour or so to enjoy the views and catch up with old friends over a coffee before driving on to Corwen via some nice roads that were perfect for the little cars. At Corwen we parked at the railway station and took a ride back in time on the Llangollen Steam Railway, and then had free time in Llangollen to explore the town. Some of us went on a guided tour round the railway workshops, these aren't normally open to the public so that was an extra bonus and well worth the suggested donation that helps the railway to remain operational. The time flew and it was soon time to get on the last train back to Corwen, where the cars were all sat patiently waiting for the return trip to the museum. after a while we all went our separate ways; some were camping at the museum, others staying in local B&Bs and a few of us were based in nearby Chirk.

Sunday was spent just taking it easy at the museum, talking to other owners, and looking at the cars. There always seems to be a surprise in store though and this year was no exception with two special cars on display! One was Keith's prototype Kitten Mk2, and I have to say the Fiesta headlights really suited it, though I felt the rear lights looked a bit too heavy. It's a shame Reliant didn't take the opportunity to create a hatchback, maybe they would if it had gone into production? The second surprise was the appearance of John Box's Raptor (a Tempest Mk2 if you like) which was beautiful and featured some very nice details. If Photobucket allows me to add some photos i'll let them do the talking!

Finally, a huge thank you to Malcolm and Brian for organising another great Kitten Register event, and thank you to everyone who came along to make it the great event that it is. Llangollen is the one event i always really look forward to and am counting the days to the 2018 one already!

Tom Williams
Site Admin

Re: RKR 3rd Annual Gathering

Post by Tom Williams » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 am

I had of hoped to pop along but the factory floor was rather busy so couldnt leave the minions to it ;)

Looks like a great weekend though :)

mechanicalhorse
Reliant Geek

Post by mechanicalhorse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Some more photos!

Roger Brown's lovely Imperial, based on a London taxi chassis with a Nissan diesel engine and auto gearbox.

The Llangollen Railway not only restores old locos in their workshops but also build brand new ones, this being the frame for one of four locos currently being built.

Wheaters
Reliant Geek

Post by Wheaters » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am

I see that "Swampy", Colin Marshall's Liege was here, too. Looking immaculate, as usual!

Tom Williams
Site Admin

Post by Tom Williams » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Cracking photos! Lovely to see so many kittens used and loved :)

Im extremely impressed by the building of the new locos. I hope the skills are being passed onto to younger engineers so they can carry on forever :)

mechanicalhorse
Reliant Geek

Post by mechanicalhorse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Wheaters wrote:I see that "Swampy", Colin Marshall's Liege was here, too. Looking immaculate, as usual!
Indeed! I was hoping they'd be there on the Sunday too but they went home after the train ride on the Saturday. At least I can say I've seen a Liege now - this was a first for me! Does this one also have Suzuki power? i noticed a video of it on the Liege website and there was a Suzuki 'S' on the grille, though it doesn't seem to be on there now.

mechanicalhorse
Reliant Geek

Post by mechanicalhorse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Tom Williams wrote:Cracking photos! Lovely to see so many kittens used and loved :)

Im extremely impressed by the building of the new locos. I hope the skills are being passed onto to younger engineers so they can carry on forever :)
In addition to the many volunteers the railway also has full time workshop staff and apprentices, so yes the skills are being passed on. I think the lady who took us on the guided tour round the workshops said there are more than a dozen new locos being built around the country!

Wheaters
Reliant Geek

Post by Wheaters » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

mechanicalhorse wrote:
Wheaters wrote:I see that "Swampy", Colin Marshall's Liege was here, too. Looking immaculate, as usual!
Indeed! I was hoping they'd be there on the Sunday too but they went home after the train ride on the Saturday. At least I can say I've seen a Liege now - this was a first for me! Does this one also have Suzuki power? i noticed a video of it on the Liege website and there was a Suzuki 'S' on the grille, though it doesn't seem to be on there now.
Yes, it's Suzuki powered, with a Weber carb fitted in lieu of the original fuel injector.