Cylinder Head Removal

Moderator: Moderators

Floydy
Well Known Member

Cylinder Head Removal

Post by Floydy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:25 am

Hi there...

Have been trying to remove the cylinder head in my Bug (in-sit-u) for the past few months and it is completely stuck on
I can get it to move up on the distributor side by quite a bit but its not budging on the exhaust side

Have tried anti seize fluid, coca cola, petrol, Harpic bleach but still no go

I am pretty sure I have removed all of the bolts associated with the cylinder head and am dreading having to remove the engine or swap the engine (have a spare) due to my health as I have gotten this far and have replaced head-gaskets on these engines twice before now without issue.

Does anyone have or know where I can get a tool to remove the head?

Plasticvandan
Found my feet now

Re: Cylinder Head Removal

Post by Plasticvandan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 am

it is worth taking the exhaust manifold studs out as sometimes these can bind on the head studs one surefire way to get it off,especially as you have movement,is with a blow torch on the head to warm it up around the studs,this will help break down the corrosion and expand the head enough to lift it off.every time i have struggled heat has been the answer.

amam
Reliant Geek

Post by amam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am

make sure you have removed all the head nuts, especally the one in the middle as alot of people miss that one

if you've got a spare exhaust manifold bolt it onto the engine and get a copper hammer and give it a few good taps - hopefully you'll get it moving

XV1100
Reliant Geek

Post by XV1100 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Floyd, you may want to PM/contact Fifer or Mick on this very forum; if i'm not mistaken they have made head removal "tools". They may/may-not loan you theirs; no harm in asking ;)
"hey guv'ner that thing should be in a museum" .. "it was" i replied :roll:

Forums have 1 or 2 growling dogs...posts need a C.Y.A. statement, mine being "i could be wrong :roll: "
Don't let the dogs bite you, C.Y.A. ;)

graeme
Well Known Member

Post by graeme » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:30 pm

it is relatively easy to knock up a couple of plates to do the job.i used a couple of bits of 5mm angle iron 13 inchs long an three inchs wide an a good quality 13mm drill.
anthing less and you will need a dozen or be sat there all day sharpenin them.
on the hardest side,the one your having trouble with,i used the inlet/exhaust gasket as a guide for drilling the holes for the top studes only.about inch from the bottom of one side of the angle iron.bolt it to the manafold top studs with the angle over the engine.on the top side laying flat over the engine
drill a hole over the head studs,i marked them up an took it of to do it.place 5 inch long 12mm bolts through the holes with a nut on the other side.wind them down till they touch the head bolts,then wth a spanner holding the nut tighten bolt down slowly a bit at a time.they press against the head studs lifting the head up.
simple but very affective.fiffers website contains information on another designe,very nice too.afraid my workshop consists of a kitchen table in the back garden an a couple of toolboxs. :D :violin: all the best i realy do know what :twisted: they can be.

amam
Reliant Geek

Post by amam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:39 pm

XV1100 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm
Floyd, you may want to PM/contact Fifer or Mick on this very forum; if i'm not mistaken they have made head removal "tools". They may/may-not loan you theirs; no harm in asking ;)
ive got a couple of the chunky head removal tools, the other design bends the tool rather than lifts the cylinder head when they are stuck

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C6522C3

graeme
Well Known Member

Post by graeme » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:29 pm

nice one amam,a picture paints a thousand words... :D must get a cam sorted sometime.

Mick
Reliant Geek

Post by Mick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Floydy.
My cylinder head was impossible to remove using the tools I made because the head was so tight on two of the studs, and I buggered the threads on the tool for the exhaust side trying the get the head off. I will have to drill and tap for larger M10 bolts if I can.
When I made the tool I made it quite tall as the engine was out of the car and didn`t think about having to use it with the engine in the place although I haven`t tried it.. I also think Fifer said he had to cut a bit off his before it could be used successfully with an engine in place and his is not as tall as mine by the look of it, so I my head tool is a bit of a lost cause with your engine in the car.
Sorry.

johno
Reliant Geek

Post by johno » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:51 pm

The most difficult head I had to remove was a mid '90's engine I did as all have suggested apart from make a tool.
In the end I suspended the engine by the head from an engine crane then put something soft on the ground just in case then released the lift on the crane and stopped it so the weight of the entire block acted like a slide hammer, it took a few goes but eventually the head separated enough to lower the block to the ground and ease the head up and off.

Remember the head will only lift absolutely level, if it is tilted ie. lifted at the dissy side and tight on the manifold side the head will jam against the studs.
2013 Microcar MGO (Bubbles)
1998 Robin LX estate (Bella)
2009 Fiat Panda ECO Active 1.1(Joker)
1984 GL1200 Aspencade/sidecar combi (Beast)
1984 GL1200 Interstate (TopCat)
2012 Royal Enfield B5 Bullet EFI (The Bullet)
2007 Honda NT700VA (Angel)

Mick
Reliant Geek

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:39 am

Is that called yo yoing the head off ;) I ended up removing the crank and pistons and bashing the head off after putting a nut on each corner.