Cylinder Head Removal

Moderator: Moderators

Tom Williams
Site Admin

Re: Cylinder Head Removal

Post by Tom Williams » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 pm

If you need to borrow a head removal tool, James@CHGClassics is near you and he has one you can borrow im sure :)

Antoni
Well Known Member

Post by Antoni » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:49 am

Removing a head can be achieved by the "softly softly catchh monkey" technique. I know from experience.

Decades ago I was seduced by the fantastically smooth ride and relatively good handling of the Citroen BX. Their 'suspension spheres' which were part of the reason for said ride were notoriously difficult to unscrew and replace - which was fairly often. I believe that was partly because they operated at [stupid] psi pressure.

An old Citroen enthusiast told me how to do it. Use a large torque and keep it on. No chance using a huge torque for two microseconds. The method worked.

I used the same technique to remove the stubborn and probably brittle cast iron head from my MkV Regal. I rigged up some simple small screw jack arrangements [using the exact Doncaster College design featured on this great forum as a puzzle question by Sparesman a few years ago] Very happy to find that after a few hours the jacks could be tightened a little further without great effort. eventually the head came off with not much morre than hand force. Use time - not high forces.

Mick
Reliant Geek

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Floydy
I have repaired the nuts on both my head removal tools so if you end up having to remove your engine I will send the tools to in the post.
Even with all the force these tools can provide I am still finding removing my own Kitten head impossible at the moment, but as your head is moving it might work for you.
Johno has suggested using diesel which is what I`m going to try and if I still have a problem I will resort to bashing the head off with a wooden block from the sump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amam
Reliant Geek

Post by amam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:55 pm

yep james has one of my design of head removal tools too, im sure he wouldn't mind lending it to anyone whos struggling to remove a cylinder head